Monday, November 2, 2009

Stone Mountain




                                                            (This is carved into the rock)
Yesterday (OK, so it was a month ago!! I am just now finishing this post!)we visited this really cool place! It is a huge mountain made of stone and they call it...Stone Mountain! They have camp grounds, hotels, restaurants, a quaint little town and this really cool attraction area.

You take a tram/gondola up to the to top of the rock. There were some amazing views from up there!

Just about every month they have a different event happening up there. In September I took the kids up there for the Daisy Festival which is a huge craft fair. I read it is the longest running craft fair. It was enormous and I could have spent 2 days there looking at all of the vendors. Since I had the kids we mostly looked at all of the stuff they thought they "needed".


In October they have the Pumpkin Festival. There was a scavenger hunt for the kids to find candy, a pie eating contest which Sage despirately wanted to get picked for but wasn't and we did the Sky Hike.

In the attraction area they have a place called Sky Hike. They hook you up to a rope so you can navigate your way through an obsacle course. You tight rope walk, walk across long boards that are about 4 inches wide, walk across small circles and a bunch of other interesting methods to scare you half to death!

                                 (Luke tightrope walking)
I am not afraid of heights and love anything that is fast, goes upside down or spins. I have even jumped from a plane! So I wasn't at all concerned about this. It looked so easy standing underneath it. What was the worst that could happen? I fall and dangle from a rope at my waist? "Hey kids" I said, "Let's go to the 3rd level and start there!"

    (At this point Sage wanted to get down!)














We did about 3/4 of the 3rd level and Sage said "I want to get down!" She was shaking and her lips were shivering! It wasn't physically exhausting but mentally exhausting. By the time we eventually reached the end of the 3rd level I was ready to be done also. I think the next time we go we will start off on the first level and work our way up!

At night they do a laser light show on the rock. We had been there for hours that day and didn't want to wait for it to get dark so we missed the laser show. Next time...

The day after Christmas they somehow have snow up there. Not snow made from suds or snow to make icy snowballs with but SNOW! I am not exactly sure where they do it either...it can't be on that rock!

Here is the link to Stone Mountain http://www.stonemountainpark.com/ If you ever visit the Atlanta area be sure to visit Stone Mountain!

2 comments:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

We love Stone Mountain, but don't get over there as often as we should (especially considering how close it is!). We did make it to the laser show a few weeks ago, always a fun time!

Shana said...

What fun! We love camping at Stone Mountain! I saw the ropes course when we were there this summer and can not wait till my kids are old enough so we can all go. Stone Mountain really is a fun place! So great that you live so close!

Our Family Photo's