Sunday, July 19, 2009

An Update On Our Birds

We have been watching our little bird house and heard some little peeps coming from there. We took the flashlight and a ladder and saw that a whole family was now living in the house. This was really exciting for the kids.

For the last couple of weeks we have been watching the bird parents taking their young food and listening to the squawking of the babies demanding more. Each day we would look inside the nest to see what was happening and how big the babies were getting. We were all really anxious for the babies to start venturing out and watch how they learned to fly.

Last evening I was out with the dogs and went to the bird house and saw there were some ants crawling on the house. I knew this wasn't a good sign. I thought maybe one of the babies had died. I got the flashlight and to my surprise was greeted by a snake inside the house!! And no babies....

I didn't want to tell the kids. We all were so sad. What were the bird parents thinking? They had been working so hard to raise their babies. And how in the heck did the snake slither up the tree?!!! We are all trying to think of a way to have another bird house in a place a snake can't get it.

This is the second time this has happened to us. We had a nest of Cardinals right outside our dining room window in Orlando. We watched and watched those birds. One day one of the babies was out on the ground. I kept putting that little guy back in. I tried to build them a better nest with a box. The parents were so mad at me but I was only trying to save their little baby. One day we checked the nest and they were all gone. They didn't fly away, they were too young.

This time we will do a little more research and try again....

1 comment:

Shana said...

Oh no! How sad and growse to think about! Better luck next time:)

Our Family Photo's