Sunday, September 28, 2008

Self Sufficient Girls/Women

So yesterday I was outside trying to reset the clock on the sprinklers and Tetyana came over and said "Moommmeee, what doing?" and I told her I was trying to fix the sprinklers and she said "Girls don't fix stuff, mommeeee". Is she nuts??? Where did she get this notion? In Ukraine are the women helpless or do they appear to be helpless? Needless to say I set her straight and told her women/girls fix all kinds of things and there isn't anything a boy can do that she can't.

This morning I followed up that conversation with Drew and let him know he would be teaching her how to check the oil in her car and change a tire! It is so strange all of these weird girl raising ideas that have come out that I didn't even know were in me! Poor child is going to think she is going to grow up to be Super Woman!! I just want to raise a strong, confident woman and she would like to dress like Super Woman (short skirt and tall boots!)!!

2 comments:

Jason & Melanie said...

Hi~ Just came across your blog for the first time...I added to favorites so I can follow along :) We adopted in May of this year (2008) a 4 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl from Ukraine! Thanks for all the great info on your blog...I look forward to reading more!
Melanie Hall

Shana Giroux said...

Good for you for modeling that women can do anything! Haley recently went to a restuarant and told Daddy to fix the TV that was broken (it was just off). I though it was cute but now that I think about it, Daddy does NOT fix everything. Good point, and I will now be more aware.

Our Family Photo's