Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Last Couple of Days

Today we took Tetyana to the doctor for the first time. We hadn't planned on it but they had a opening and we took it. It was very weird to not know every detail about her life. They were so good to her. So far she has a clean bill of health.

I took her in the bathroom to do the urine sample and she thought this was the funniest thing she had ever done. I think she peed more on my hand because she was laughing so hard and not the poor aim! I never knew peeing in the cup could be so funny!

She had 4 shots plus the TB test. I felt so awful and so did the nurses. It was hard because we could not explain to her why we were hurting her or that she would feel better soon. We didn't draw blood because our health insurance claimed they haven't received our documentation yet and we had to pay for the visit in cash. I can't imagine what the bill would have been with the labs!

The doctor thinks she is older than 7 because she is so tall. Drew and I disagree and will not seek to change her birth date. She has enough catching up to do without the pressure of being 9 and in 1st grade. She relates well with other 7 year olds and that is what counts. She was in the 75th percentile for height and 50th for weight. She is 7.9 months old. Our son is 8.10 years old and is in the 75th percentile for both. I don't agree that this is the best indicator.

So on Friday when we go back to read the TB test, if our insurance has added her, she will have her blood drawn. I am not looking forward to that!

Next Monday she will start school. Luke is off for some storm make up day or some ridiculous thing so he wanted to take her to school on her first day. It will give he and I time to just hang out together alone. Something he craves right now more than food.

Things feel just as crazy still. I think I haven't mentioned here that we are selling our house and my husband is moving his office! Just a few more changes to add to the mix! I bit the real estate brokers head off yesterday when she said she wanted to show the house in 2 hours! I felt so bad afterward. Our house looked like a tornado went through and picking up was not at the top of my list.

So that about covers our past few days. I wanted to thank Aimee and her family for sending the kids so much stuff! They were in heaven. Also, some of Luke's former classmates stopped by today to meet Tetyana and catch up and they brought her a great bag of goodies. Luke was not home but actually reacted okay with the whole thing. A big step for him. I am a big one on sending thank you notes but they may just be months late and I really wanted to express my gratitude.

4 comments:

The Parker Family said...

Michelle,
Not sure if this gives you anything to go on as far as the age thing goes, but it is much more likely that a 7 year old would have just lost one of her front teeth than an older child.
I look at her and have a 9 year old daughter to compare her to, she looks like a very normal and accurate 7 year old.
My daughter is in the 95% in height, she is the size of an average 10 o 11 year old.
I believe more is pinned down by bone density and teeth.
I'm totally with you..she is 7.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Just catching up on how you are doing, so glad things are going well. Yes, T is in 75% for height for a seven year old as well. That's why there is a range, all kids are different LOL! I can email you a Russian Child Talk, PDF file of useful phrases, includes parts of body and going to the doctor as well as other "real" phrases instead of "which way to the train station?". Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Poor Tetyana, with all those shots and a blood draw yet to come! However, if you make sure she has a LOT of water to drink about half an hour before the "stick", it will be far easier for the technicians to get a good blood sample on the first attempt. Been there, done that myself - it really does make a huge difference. Also see if they can use a "butterfly" needle, which is designed for kids and those with small veins.

You have two gorgeous children...

Best wishes,
Susan in Ky, cousin to two from Ukraine

Shana said...

Sure looks like a 7 year old to me. I wouldn't do anything different than you are doing. Can't wait to meet Tetyana tomorrow!
-Shana

Our Family Photo's