Thursday, April 10, 2008

She's A Keeper!

I took Tetyana to the park today, just the two of us, and she was so darn excited! Luke is tired of the park so he went with Drew to the apartment for some quite time. I think he is feeling quite overwhelmed by the process and having to deal with a new sibling. So on our way to the park Tetyana was listening to the Ipod and was just so thrilled we were off to the park together.

When we got there she immediately wanted to go on the inflatable slide. She loves that thing. After sliding for 10 minutes, she went to the playground part and there were tons of kids there. I think they were there from school. A man had all of the kids line up to leave and Tetyana asked on of them if they were in school I think. I can't speak more than 5 words of Russian/Ukrainian but I seem to be able to understand what is being said. So Tetyana ran off to play and there was another little girl there that was not part of the big group, so I was trying to get Tetyana to play with her. It took me a couple of times of trying to explain this to her but she got it. The two of them were holding hands in no time! The were playing right next to me and Tetyana was talking about "mama". I have no idea what she was saying but I sure wish I knew. Was she telling her she has a new mama? Did she tell her she used to be an orphan? The little girl's mama was not there though. She was there with another girl and neither of the two girls was over 9 years old! Things are so different here.

Tetyana wanted to show the girl the Ipod and the little girl thought it was so cool. She listened to music for a long time and the two of them just chatted away. It was so sweet. After awhile, the little girl had to leave and Tetyana wanted to ride the slide again. On the way to the slide I asked her if she wanted to ride the pony and she said "yest" (that is her yes). She got up on the pony and was smiling from ear to ear! The guy that was leading the pony started talking to her in English and I told him she was Ukrainian and he spoke to her in Ukrainian. She told him something about going to America. Again, I wish I knew what she was saying.

But judging by the smile on her face, she is telling me she is happy and that makes me happy!

1 comment:

Kathy and Matt said...

Don't you wish you could see or hear all that's going on in her head right now?

It sounds like she is just loving being with her new family. I'm so happy for all of you.

Our Family Photo's