Last summer Luke's beloved hamster, Bart Simpson pass on to hamster heaven. He was sad and kept begging us for another hamster. We kept telling him no because he didn't like cleaning the cage I didn't feel like cleaning up after another animal or kid.
This past week he asked me if he behaved all the way until Christmas could he have another hamster. Knowing this would never happen, I told him yes. What a stupid thing for me to do!!! He and Sage received some cash (thanks Aim!!) and decided to get a hamster now! Urrrggg!!
I really don't mind hamsters except when they are loose and Luke is crying for days because we can't find it. The first weekend we had Bart, he snuck away from Luke and hid between the bathroom cabinets and the wall!! Luke was distraught and wanted us to rip out the cabinets and sink so we could save him! We were sad for him but not sad enough to destroy the bathroom! Bart was an escape artist and was found wandering through the house more than a handful of times! Each time he was apprehended.
They are supposed to be sharing the hamster but I can already see it is going to be a problem. Sage has no idea how to even hold the hamster which scares Luke and then makes him mad at her. I have explained to him that in a lot of ways his sister is still much like a 4 year old. She doesn't have the same life experiences as he does. He insists I am telling him this just to stick up for her. We have the same conversations when he makes fun of her for watching Barney on TV. I guess it is hard for a 10 year old to comprehend when he has lived here all of his life. So now Sage has to be supervised with the hamster and is not allowed to shake the little sleeping box upside down to wake him up.
As you can see our dogs are incredibly fascinated by little Snowflake. We are not sure
if Zoey (the cream colored one) is trying to eat him or protect him. She even got snippy with Luke when he tried to take the hamster out of the dog bed. Minnie...well she just wants someone to play with!
Let's hope this little hamster stays in her cage and lives longer than a year!











2 comments:
Oh my you are brave! I can't imagine another life form in the house:) I hope the hamster makes it. Too cute how the dogs watch it though:)
Snowflake is awful cute, although I don't know if I could handle the thought of it getting loose and running around the house! :) You're a better woman than I.
Hang in there with the Luke and Sage thing. My kids are having alot of the same responses right now to Maddie. They can't understand why she's behaving the way she is. I have to keep reminding them that she has a lot of catching up to do. Most days, it doesn't help. ;)
Post a Comment