Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Past Few Days

We have had a busy past few days around our home. Baseball is the biggest time consumer right now. Luke had practice Friday night, pictures Saturday morning followed by a game and a scrimmage today. Luckily, Tetyana doesn't mind hanging out at the field so far. The next few weeks will be just the same. I don't know how some of the parents to it with multiple boys in baseball! They live at the field.

We had a bit of a hard day today. Luke is having the worst time adjusting to having a sister. Part of it is their ages are so close. We thought this would be fantastic because he would have a playmate and maybe it will be great later but right now she is a thorn in his side. It isn't even so much about loosing some attention but that she is getting things. We have approached this in every way possible and in Target today, in the middle of home storage, it came to a head. He was mad because she was getting plastic storage drawers for her closet. It didn't matter to him that he has 4 upstairs in the playroom.

We made our purchases and got in the car and dropped Drew off at Sports Authority. Luke was still crying and then Tetyana started crying. It is the hardest thing because I can't just ask her why she is crying and she can't tell me. Luke asked her if it was because of him and she nodded yes. Who knows if she understood his gestures and questions but this sent him reeling. He said "I am a terrible brother and I thought I was going to be a good one!". I crawled into the backseat and hugged them both and bawled my eyes out with them. All I could do was tell them both that I loved them more than anything and that it would be alright soon. Poor Drew, when he got in the car he couldn't figure out what happened! I think we may look into some therapy for Luke to try and find ways to deal with the jealousy.

On a much more fun note....we visited some dear friends of ours, the Pool family. They have a daughter Hayleigh, who is 13 and a son Henry, who is 9. They are each just one clothing size ahead of Luke and Tetyana. They did some spring cleaning and gave Luke and Tetyana gobs of clothes!!! We felt so lucky. Hayleigh is a real girly, girl too and many of the clothes had lots of bling! This made Tetyana's night! Okay, well maybe the hours she spent in their pool did or it could have been their puppy Daisy who is not so small who she played hide and seek with. Needless to say, we all had a wonderful time at their house. Thank you so much Pool family!

I was just uploading our pictures from our trip to Shutterfly and I can't believe the transformation already in Tetyana. In the pictures from the orphanage she looks like a sheltered little girl and now she looks free. I can't wait to compare pictures of her over the next few months and see how she grows and changes. I am sure it will be incredible!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Michelle! I am so sorry about the cry fest in the back seat. I feel your pain. Halle broke down tonight over a piece of cake, and it just set her off into a tissy of who knows what! It's so hard when you feel helpless to communicate. We have been using that translator sight to explain things from time to time, but it doesn't help us interpret her. Wouldn't you just love to get into their little heads and know what they are thinking about all of this? I can't wait to be able to ask her someday. Poor Luke - he's had so much to get used to (and that's on top of the jet lag and the emotional exhaution of being in Ukraine for 5 weeks!). We'll be praying for him. I'm so glad T is doing so well. I'd love to get together sometime and see the girls together! :)
I'll give you a call sometime this week to catch up. Sorry this is the longest comment on earth!!!
Love, J

Chris and Virginia said...

That's gotta be heartbreaking. Luke feels bad because his actions affect Tetyana, Tetyana feels bad because Luke is feeling bad, and your in the middle feeling bad because everyone else is feeling bad. Wow.

On a good note, it also shows that Tetyana is empathetic which is a great thing for attaching.

Out thoughts are with you and your family. Hopefully you'll get through this stage rather quickly :).

Our Family Photo's