Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Teeth

So, I think I have mentioned it here before that Tetyana has very bad teeth. This was one thing that has always worried Drew about coming here. Since meeting Tetyana, I think she could have 2 ears on each side of her head and it wouldn't have made a difference to Drew! So today during our visit she smiled really big and I noticed that 4 of her baby molars have been pulled out! This must have happened over the weekend when we were away. I was pretty sure they were all there before, but I wanted to make sure so I called Roman and had him ask her. She said yes they were pulled over the weekend and no they hadn't been hurting. So why did they pull them? And why didn't they tell us about it? Technically, she is not legally ours until tomorrow so they can do to her what they want but they should have mentioned it to us.

Any dentists out there familiar with adoption and bad orphan teeth? I mean, every single one of her teeth are bad. What could cause this? They are all grey in color and some of them look like they are going to crumble. She is going to have some major work done to her mouth while we wait for them to fall out. Any parents have experience with this?

Tomorrow we are picking up Tetyana and the director of the orphanage so we can go visit Tetyana's school. This will be her last day of school in Ukraine. We wonder how she feels about this.

We are nearing the end of this chapter. We pick Tetyana up on Friday!!!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Michelle!
On the teeth issue! Find a PEDIATRIC dentist when you get home! Our son (then 3) had over 50 cavities in his mouth (the dentist stopped counting at 50!), 2 rotten teeth (that were pulled) and 3 molars that required stainless steel wraps! He also put on veneers on the front teeth - even though they were baby teeth - so that he had a much nicer smile. We were told that mainly it was due to extreme malnutrition (sp) as well as really bad pre-natal care add on top of it the baby bottle with sugar water!
Our dentist xrayed to make sure that the permanent teeth were there and kept a close eye on him the first two years. He has really good, strong teeth now (age 10).
We had all the dental work done in the first 3 months - which was tough - but VERY necessary!

Good luck!
Amy

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
Olia had terrible teeth!! Our dentist filled her permanent teeth, but he left the cavity ridden baby teeth alone. She has lost two baby teeth since being in the U.S. The dentist said he would only fill them or pull them if they were hurting her, but that he felt it best not to bother with them unless she felt pain. Our dentist said that Olia will need porcelain enamels put on her teeth when she is older because they are so discolored. Tetyana is younger so you may not need so much dental work for her.
Please don't forget to take photos of any available 10-11 year old girls. And can you ask the director if they can be hosted? Thanks and good luck! Tetyana is so cute!!
I love your blog!
Colleen

Kathy and Matt said...

I have no answers to share on the teeth, in fact we still need to get Leeza to the dentist.

But I did want to say congrats as you finalize things and are able to take her with you in the next couple days!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we have went through the same thing. We adopted a boy who was four and a half in Nov 2005. It was the best experience of our lives, and yes he had horrible teeth. He also had a tooth pulled before we left with him. We wondered also why and never really got a straight answer. His teeth were also bad once we got home. He complained all the time about them. Within two months he had 3 baby teeth pulled and 2 caps. Now because of space issuues, he is getting a retainer/spacer this month and he'll only be 7 this month also. But that's ok, he is totally worth it. Our dentist said his teeth that are startng to come in now are not in good shape because they don't have much enamel on them to protect them, since they were forming when he didn't have good nutrition/floride/decent water, etc. She said that the teeth that are forming now should have no problem when they come in because of the proper nutrition, etc. So plan on quit a few dental visits. But as I said these children are totally worth everything, just the joy they bring you. We feel like he has been with us forever and its only been two and a half years. Good luck to you. It is a great experience and we wouldn't change anything, especially him a bit.

Tami said...

It sounds like she may have bad enamel. Anya's two front teeth were like that...and the doctor explained the enamel was weak. Thankfully the baby teeth have now fallen out and the new ones are just fine. I think it's a matter of nutrition, but a dentist will be better able to explain it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your finding your daughter. We've been following your blog as we are hoping to be there soon.

Regarding your daughter's teeth, I would really encourage that you do not put in silver fillings. They are made up of over 50% mercury. There is a blood test that can be done to find out what is the best filling for her. It is done by Clifford Laboratories in CO I believe. She is probably mineral deficient.

I only know about these things because my Mom was mercury poisoned from her fillings. Locate a toxic free dentist to do her work.

If you want more info I can point you in the right direction.
Good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi, It's really strange that they would'nt tell you they were going to do that. It's a little different over there. I know you are all wanting to come home the 10th must seem so long from now. A week to ten days and you will get to start a new chapter in you lives. Take to you soon.

Uncle Steve

Anonymous said...

I think that it is malnutrition causing the discoloration of the teeth. You can also have the dentin just darker, but with children, I have heard it is more like malnutrition. Not surprising considering that she is from a country that has some poverty issues. Oops..client here...will try and talk to you soon. I am so excited to meet her!

Becky

Our Family Photo's