The kids started back to school last Monday and it wasn't a day too early. We were all getting on each others nerves after being home for the last 4 months together. I don't know how you home schoolers do it! Luke was not happy with the idea of school starting saying "Mom, I'm not going. I don't need to go to school!" and Sage could barely contain her excitement to put on her new school clothes.
Since I take so many pictures and try to put a picture on each post, you would think I would have pictures of their first day of school or at least their 3rd day of school pretending to be their first. But it just didn't happen. I do have one excuse to offer...the bus. When we went to the Meet the Teacher we stopped by the transportation booth to see how the bus schedule worked here since we are new to the area and school. It was the weirdest schedule I have ever seen (OK, I have only seen one other bus schedule, but still!). They tell you what time the bus picks up the first stop, how many stops there are for that route and obviously you know what time the bus needs to get the children to school. Everything after that is just a guess!!! And every day last week the bus arrived at a different time! One day the bus stopped right in front of our house as my kids ran across the street with their shoes in their hands! So getting a picture just didn't happen. I should have taken the picture of Sage running up the street with her shoes and socks in her hands and her belt half way around her shorts! I don't even want to talk to you about what time the bus drops them off! The office assures me things will smooth out.
This school has adopted a new dress code this year....uniforms. Luke was not thrilled at all. Until last year he had worn uniforms to private school. One of the big things we used to entice him to the public school was having the freedom to choose what he wanted to wear. I asked around about the uniforms to the few parents I came in contact with over the summer. There were varying degrees as to how many kids would be wearing uniforms. Since it is public school they can't force the kids to wear them I guess. Sage chose to wear the uniform and Luke didn't. I was okay with that. Luke only has one more year of elementary so I let it slide. So far I have heard about 50% of the kids are wearing uniforms. We left tags on all of the clothes (except what they wore the first day) just in case but they are both sticking to their decisions.
So the first week of school is done and they both made it through. They both have a heavier load of homework than they are used to. Remember, Sage went from first grade and being babied to a big third grader. It seems 5th grade is a lot about getting the kids prepared for middle school. They each like their teachers and so do I.
The school has tested Sage already and has her in speech and language already. I just got a note home that she also qualifies for ESOL and I am learning what services she will get for that also. They gave her a test to measure how much English she understands, can speak and can write. It was very low and I was surprised. With the top score being a 6, she scored 2.7. The year is going to challenge her for sure but I know with support she will be okay.
Maybe I will take a picture of them this Monday! :)
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











2 comments:
You're so funny! I love the story about the bus. Can't wait to hear how Sage does during the school year jumping from first to third grade. I think you made a very good decision to put her more with her age. Girls are so sensitive to being different. Camilla can't wait to start school either, but of course, Max can. Must be a boy thing!
Sounds like an overall good start! Just a warning about ESOL, although I think it is great, be sure that they understand that her native language is not spoken in the home. As a teacher, I have learned that parents need to make that clear. You don't want Sage to be labeled ESOL forever. If that doesn't make sense, e-mail me and I will clarify:)
Post a Comment