So I am checking off my "to do" list feverishly. One thing I am having trouble finding is warm wool socks for Luke and I. Evidently, only men hike or go in the cold....or maybe it is because we live in Florida! LOL
I think I have the dogs and Bart Simpson taken care of. I had to ask for help which is something I hate doing. It is a very heavy weight lifted off my shoulders.
My packing list is 5 pages long. I am not sure how I am going to fit all of this stuff and make each duffel bag weigh less than 50 pounds each. There are a few really strange things we need to bring like sink stoppers and duct tape. I have heard we can't live without either...LOL The amount of medical stuff to bring is enormous and will take up a suitcase itself. I guess Ukraine doesn't have a lot of the medical conveniences that we have here in the US. I am also bringing a fair supply of food in case we can't find something to eat (because we can't read Russian!) or we are in a huge hurry. I think it will also be nice to eat American food every once in awhile.
I need to get crackin' on the scrapbook I am going to bring with us. We will use it to show our daughter, the officials at the adoption center, caregivers and director at the orphanage as well as the judge in court. This is really a sticky thing because we don't want to show too much of our lives here in America because they already think we are "loaded" and can pay extra.
Another interesting thing about Ukrainians opinions of Americans...they think we are taking the children back with us to sell their organs. Many people adopt special needs children and Ukrainians can't figure out why we would want "damaged children". I have heard many caregivers at the orphanages are so thrilled to see pictures of kids after they are home.
So, that is what is happening in our adoption lives...
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











2 comments:
Leave the sink stopper at home (I never needed one in three adoptions), forget most of the snacks (you can buy them there or live without for a month), and remember to pack, take out one third, re-pack and take out another third :)
Don't skimp too much on the pictures! We never showed ours to anyone who might be wanting our big bucks anyway, but the workers in both orphanages as well as all the kids in the older boy's orphanage loved the photos and passed them around.
We had just a cheapie album--no fancy scrapbook or anything--and had asked a friend of ours who is originally from Ukraine to label each picture in Russian and, seriously, they loved it!
Melissa E.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't have cared to look at someone else's family photos!
Post a Comment