Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Week Of School

Well, the first week of school was great even though we only had 3 days. The kids both were happy with their teachers and classmates. I was mostly worried about Luke but he did great and came home each day stating one fact or another he learned at school. I predict this will be a great school year for him!

Since his head injury, he has hard time with school sometimes. Things don't quite come as easily as they did. I met with the school administration before the end of last year and brought in all of his testing and prior academic and IQ scoring. He is a hard nut to crack because he tests gifted but has to work for the grade. He is perfectly happy to skate by. Part of this I think is being a boy. The school was right on top of his needs this year and he told me someone came to visit him in class and said she would be working with him! Last year in the private school it wasn't until November before they got their butts in gear! By then, he was so frustrated with school he was ready to give up!

His exectutive functioning was affected and that is the part that really helps with writing and planning. His new teacher is big on language arts and writing. How perfect is that!

I have always pushed Luke at school and demanded he do well. I know he is very bright and can do excellent. He has always brought home A's and B's. This year I have totally backed off. No tutoring over the summer. I told him he knows he has homework due. School has no surprises for him and he knows what is expected of him. Homework was such a battle every night and I dreaded it every day. I have told him I am available to help him any time but he was responsible for his homework and studing. Maybe I have to just let him fail as hard as that is for me. Boy, how hard is it going to be when he wants to move out? Yikes!!

We only had one little mix up...they didn't get off the bus at our stop one day. I sat their waiting for them to get off and they didn't. Luke called me and said "mommy, where are you?!!" and I said "Where are you guys? Why didn't you get off?" Luckily, the next stop is less than 1/8 of a mile. Somehow he got confused. I asked him what would have happened if I wasn't at the stop. Would he have just stayed on the bus forever? He said no, that he knew he had to get off at the next stop.

I have to tell you, I love the bus! It is like a carpool I never have to drive!!! With all the driving I did last school year, I feel like I am totally cheating!

Let's hope there are not anymore storm days and we can get on with the school year!

1 comment:

Kathy and Matt said...

So glad to hear that things have started off well at school!

Sarah will be riding a bus, so it's a bit unsettling to think about her getting off at the wrong place, but our little neighbor girl has already decided to take her under her wing. So cute!

Our Family Photo's