Friday, May 9, 2008

More On Being a Mom

I will warn you now, if you are about to eat a meal or just ate one don't read this right now!!

I think by this Sunday I will earn my title as a mom to Tetyana. Our health insurance for her finally kicked in so we had to take her to get her blood work done. I was not looking forward to this after the appointment with the shots. So I convinced Drew to come with Luke and I for more support! I am such a chicken!!

I asked Luke to play a little game with her on the way there. Who could drink their Gatorade the fastest! We needed her hydrated and she never drinks anything. Luke did such a great job and we had hardly left the school parking lot before they both had finished their drinks.

We didn't tell her where we were going and weren't planning on it until we got to the parking lot. I didn't see any reason to stress her out longer than she needed to be. She is picking up so much English, she figured it out by our conversation in the car!! When we got there we told her it would be a little "ouchie" and then it would be okay. She wasn't buying it. We tried our best to explain to her what they were going to do but all she could hear was it was going to hurt and in her little mind, it was going to hurt a lot!

We got in and the lab tech asked me to have her sit on my lap. Tetyana burst into tears and not just quiet tears but loud sobbing. The tech was only asking me questions at this point and nobody had even touched her. She is such a drama queen!!! She let out a howl when the needle stuck her but then quickly stopped when she realized it wasn't painful. She was actually fascinated by the blood.

Here is where I earn my motherhood badge....I have to collect 4 stool samples from her!!!! Not just 4 from one poop but one from 4 different pooping sessions. OMG this is so gross. It has been over 6 years since I have changed a dirty diaper and somehow changing a baby is different than collecting a sample. Luke and Tetyana think this is hilarious. I can hardly pick up dog poop without gagging and nearly throwing up! Even though I understand the necessity of this, I am totally grossed out!

On a much brighter subject...Tetyana's teacher told me this morning that she is amazed at Tetyana's progress and the aide said she was "a breath of fresh air". She loves learning and is doing so well.

Luke's guidance counselor called yesterday and said there was a problem at school with a group of boys and although Luke was there with the boys he was not a part of the problem. She said when she brought the boys into her office, Luke told the story of what happened and took responsibility for his part...she was so happy with the way he conducted himself and wanted to tell me I was doing something right at home. Boy, I needed to hear that!!! Something we say is sinking into that thick skull of his!

Wish me luck on the poop collection! I am totally taking Sunday off and now I have 2 kids to rub my feet!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

um... yuck?! good luck with that! :P

thank you so much for continuing to blog now that you are home - it means so much to me, drowning in paperwork, early in the process.

your family is great and I enjoy following along! (my oldest is also named Luke, love that name) :)

Kathy and Matt said...

I'm laughing so hard as I read your post about collecting the "samples."

Having just been through that myself in the past month or so, I know too well the gross-out factor!

And like many other 5 year olds, Sarah found it fascinating to talk about "poop" and watch mommy collect it in the vials, etc.

Ahhh, the things we do for those we love!!

... said...

EEEwwwww yuck!

Glad to see hubby came to the rescue on that one! LOL

Been really busy on this end; but I have had time to read your blog.

The things we Mom's do...

Lisa
http://payne-familyadventures.blogspot.com/

Our Family Photo's