Today I think we caught up on our sleep and we should be on Ukrainian time. We went to bed last night at 10pm and woke up today at about 12pm! I was up a bit earlier but Drew and Luke were still knocked out. Since our place is so small, it was best for me just to stay in bed and be quiet.
Apartment:
I can compare the trip so far to being in a motor home and camping. We have a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom is tiny and you can hardly turn around in the shower. You can’t put two hands in the sink! We aren’t pressing our luck with the water, so we are using bottled water to brush our teeth. Again, like camping. I wanted to make bacon and eggs this morning for breakfast but wasn’t able to because I only had one pan! I am doing a load of wash….ok, really it isn’t a load….it is more like a ¼ load. The washer is so tiny that all I could fit was two pairs of pants and some socks and underwear. It has been washing now for almost 2 hours!! Next I have to hang it all to dry. The heater is on all the time which has made it pretty warm in the room. I am not complaining because at least they haven’t shut it off. We are guessing it is controlled somewhere other than this building.
People:
The people mostly stare at us or look at us up and down. Drew thinks it is because we speak English…I think it is because I am not wearing stiletto boots! Everything I read about the women has been true…they are dressed like they are in a fashion show. We met a woman today on the way out of our apartment that the most baby blue eye shadow on I have ever seen! She was sweet though and wished us well and told us she would pray for us.
The weather is not too cold so that is a major good thing!
We met with another American PAP today for a light lunch. Julie and Scott are from Texas and are so nice! They are looking for a girl up to age 5. We both have our appointments tomorrow at 11am. We know there are other couples here right now but we haven’t heard from them. One had an appointment today. I hope it went well!
Luke is holding up pretty good. He is a little stressed. I think he is tired and as he would say “discombobulated”. I think once we get settled in the region and form a routine it will be easier. It is a little difficult with him in this little apartment because he isn’t the most organized child.
So that is basically where we are today. Tomorrow is the first of our big days. Please send all positive thoughts and prayers to Ukraine!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
Oh Michelle and Drew.. i'm so excited for you all. you are soooo close now. i can feel the thrill and anxiety in your posts. i remember those feelings well. i can't wait to hear you've finally laid eyes on your little girl and i hope the rest of the journey goes smoothly and quickly!
It sounds like you are doing well.
We recall the stares from people. I figured much of it was due to the fact we were speaking English. But we definitely didn't look Ukrainian either. No hats. No stilettos. Definite Americans.
It's nice you could meet with Scott and Julie. We found such comfort in meeting with and/or connecting by phone with other families there while we were.
Praying that your appointment brings good news!
Hi Guys! Hang in there - can't wait to hear how your appt goes. I am praying for you. Keep posting - we love living this with you!
Post a Comment