Today we were lucky enough to get a total of 4 hours with Tetyana. She is so easy going. This is great because we are in this tiny room with only the things we bring in to play with. She really enjoys coloring, puzzles and video games (but we are leaving that at the apartment right now!). Her favorite thing is my digital camera! She won't put it down until the batteries run out. It was so hard for us to explain to her about the batteries! She kept trying to turn the camera on and couldn't figure out what its problem was. But she didn't get mad or frustrated in the least.
Every once in awhile she will just look over at me and touch my face or hand. She often hugs us all including Luke. He isn't so sure about this. Right now, she is still a girl and not quite his sister. It is funny to watch him when she hugs him. She shares great with him also. I gave her a snack and she ate some, then turned around and offered it to Luke. She also is a very tidy girl. She folds the baggies or kleenex just right and puts everything back just the way it was when we started.
Today, between visits we bought her some clothes. I forgot the measurements and really went off Luke's size. We got her some underware for .40 each! She always wears and undershirt so we got a couple cute ones. We also got her some tops and a coat. The Ukrainians love "bling"!! Everything here has rhinestones on it. They are also revealing. I am not a prude but I am not ready for my daughter to wear something with only fringe over her tummy! Yikes.
So we took the clothes to our second visit to see if she liked them. When we showed them to her I asked her if they were good. She said yes but didn't seem too excited. I had heard orphans love getting new clothes. From what I can tell she has 3 outfits. Later in our visit she went over and picked up the bag and looked at me like "can I look at these?" and I told her yes. The next thing I knew she had them all on! She was very happy. I would have taken her picture except by then the batteries in the camera were dead! LOL
We are working on simple English words and video taped her saying "My name is Tetyana. I am 7 years old". I just need to get it on to the computer!
Every night Drew and I recount every minute of each visit. We wonder what she is thinking. We know she says she wants to come with us but she can't possibly know what that means. The enormity of it. For the rest of the week we can only see her for an hour. We hope maybe during this hour we will
be able to take her out of the orphanage on a field trip.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











4 comments:
Unfortunately it doesn't get much better when you come back to the states. I don't think I'm too prudish either, but I had the hardest time finding Anya a decent swimming suit last year. They were all skimpy little bikinis. I finally found a one-piece suit but it cost me a pretty penny. UGH!
It must be fun buying girls clothes for a change. I love to buy clothes for my grand-daughters. She sounds wonderful.
When will you be coming home?
Joanne
OK, where can I get a couple of hers :). She sounds so wonderful. I especially like the face touching part. It seems that she really likes you all; what a great start.
Hmmm, I know one can't preselect, but I might have to see if I can get my facilitator to talk with the director of that orphanage. I have heard where directors have advocated for their children and that's OK.
On google earth, one can see those types of apt. buildings in all the cities. Kind of scary, stark and very Soviet.
Thanks for the updates and looking forward to reading more :).
Congratulations on your daughter! It is so heartwarming to hear things are going well for you and your new daughter.
Post a Comment