Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Last Couple of Days

This is where Luke and I sleep.
This is the bathroom. See the tile falling off the wall? The toilet is in a different room next to the kitchen. Lots of privacy there!
This is the kitchen. I dry our clothes on the radiator behind the table!
This is our main room. This is where DRew sleeps on the fold out motorhome couch!
The last couple of days have been really good. We continue to visit Tetyana every day from 3-5. We got an extra hour! They must realize that her school work here really isn't going to matter because she is leaving. We have no idea why things changed because we can't communicate with anyone!

Roman, our stateside facilitator went home yesterday, a few days early. We were fine and really knew we could make it on our own. So now we have another bed and I am off the floor! But now I have Luke in an oversized twin bed with me. Here are a few pictures of the apartment we are in now ( I have no idea why the pictures are always at the top and I don't have anymore patience for 
computers!!!). We are about a 10 minute walk from the main street. There is so much shopping here it is 
crazy! Restaurants galore too! There really isn't much you would want to buy though. The clothes, in my opinion are not cute. The women dress like they are headed to the night club. There are a couple (that we have found so far) of outdoor markets that sell everything from flowers, produce and clothes to pigs legs complete with the hoof....it is a beautiful thing!

So I think I mentioned before that Tetyana loves electronics....ok, that is an understatement! She is crazy for them....even the calculator! Yesterday we brought an Ipod and she wore the battery out on that too! She figured out in about 5 minutes how to work it and turned it up loud and danced when we weren't watching. Her favorite song is Fergalicious by Fergie. She likes Britney Spears also. When a song comes on she doesn't like she makes a "umph" sound, shakes her head and changes it quick. It is too funny! Poor thing, the earphones keep falling out of 
her ears though.

While she listens to music or does something with Drew or Luke, she wants me to color her a picture. She is very specific too about what colors to use! Each day she brings me a picture. Today she brought me a card and it has writing on it but I can't read the language. I will have to
ask our facilitator when we see her.

We bought her some jeans today and took them too her. She is funny about clothes and she has done the same thing twice now. I show her the clothes and she looks at them and shakes her head yes and then puts them away. When I ask her if she likes them she says yes. Later in our visits she will go and pull them out and hold them and look at them but put them away. The later she will pull them out again and want to wear them. She is so happy when she puts them on. So far everything has fit her perfectly! I still can't find her a cute pair of shoes though.

She eats like a horse! Every day she eats a least one banana if not two along with something sweet, some other fruit, chips and some juice. She has tried every American snack I have brought her. I don't think she will  hav much trouble when we are home with food.

We have all had a cold. I had it first but now Drew and Luke have it. Luckily, it isn't a bad one and didn't last too long. Luke really hasn't been eating too well. Not sure if it is the cold or the food. We even took him to McDonalds and he didn't eat much.

I am playing this little game with Ukraine right now....it is called "Sweet and Sour". I learned it from Luke and our neighbor kids. The usually wave at people when riding in the car. If the people smile and wave back they are "sweet" if they don't, they are "sour". We are stared at all day long here. If theUkrainians don't immediately stare at us they do when we speak English. So when they look at me I smile and see if they are "sweet or sour"......umm....mostly, "sour". We were told it is the old Soviet way. People are just now starting to look at you in the eye much less smile. Even the little children don't smile at strangers.

We don't know our court date yet but we are thinking it is next Monday. We were hoping for this Friday because we would start our 10 day wait over the weekend and not loose that time. We anticipate being home around the 9th or 10th providing everything goes off without a hitch and we can get return flights.

I think that about covers the last couple of days. I wish we were home already but I also know I want to soak in as much of Ukraine as I possibly can to keep Ukraine alive for Tetyana as much as she wants. It would be a heck of a lot easier though if I knew the alphabet!

3 comments:

Our Family said...

Congrats on finding your daughter! I am finally able to catch up on everyone's blog. Good luck with everything - hope everything goes fast and smooth.

Vince , Shelly and Maddie said...

We really enjoy reading your blog because we hope to be going soon -- and we will be taking our little girl, we think. We pray the paperwork isn't too much, the bureacracy treats you fair, the wait isn't too long, and most of all for your safe return!

Shana said...

This is such a great process that you are going through. I know it is hard being in country so long but what you are doing in terms of transitioning Tatyana slowly, will be priceless down the road. I wish we could have done that with Mia and Kyan, it would have been worth the extra long stay. I hope you get to go to court Friday!. It seems like this is all going so quickly. Probably not for you though:)
-Shana

Our Family Photo's