Friday, March 28, 2008

Off To Kiev

Well we have decided to go to Kiev for the weekend. Aerosvit (Ukrainian airline) will not change our tickets over the phone with our travel agent for some reason. We are worried to wait and do it next weekend when we return to Kiev for the last leg of this journey because there may not be any seats. Luckily, we are only 2 hours away. We were told to hire a driver or the taxi that takes us to the orphanage daily, would be $240 one way!!! So we are taking a "van" that supposed to carry about 15 people or so for $7 US each way. Should be interesting.

We are feeling a bit worn out. I think I have complained to everyone I know through email! I think we are all just home sick. We are going on 3 weeks here and still have 13 days. Even Tetyana is tired of being cooped up in the tiny room.

Today Drew and Luke tried to take Tetyana out to the play ground and the orphanage staff went crazy! They say she is sick with a cold! This afternoon the doctor came in our visiting room and promptly closed the window...she was very dramatic about it. It was funny! Today, it was absolutely beautiful outside. I think it may have been nearly 60 degrees! The doctor gave Tetyana almost a complete physical! They are fanatics about catching a cold here! During our whole afternoon visit she did not cough or sniffle once! It is pretty crazy. We just can't wait to take her out of here.

I told Drew a couple of days ago I think Tetyana really understood the whole court thing and that we are here parents because she is beginning to test us! Nothing bad....like I tell her not to play with the computer keys and she keeps doing it even when I say no/neyt. Today, I had to move the computer away from her and tell her no. She stopped right away then but I think just like all kids, she is trying to figure out if we mean business and just how much she can get away with.

She did something that melted my heart today...we were looking at all of the pictures we took so far here and when there was a picture of Drew and I she pointed at herself saying "you are mine". It was so sweet! She is being taught some English by someone at the orphanage. She is counting to 7, saying our names and bye bye. Her accent is so thick, I could not figure out that she was saying our names until she said it a few times. I have some video of her and Luke that I am going to try to post. They were having fun together!

1 comment:

ArtworkByRuth said...

How wonderful she understands she is yours! That posting made my day!
You are almost HOME! Hang in there! I am glad the weather is good there, it always lifts the spirits! We've had snow flurries...
May God continue to bless the rest of your Ukraine adventure, and the journey bonding as family once home!

Our Family Photo's