Sunday, March 23, 2008

Our Weekend





It is weird when you are away from America and there is a holiday. Today is Easter but in Ukraine it isn't until the end of April...no painted Easter eggs for us today. Luckily, Luke doesn't mind missing it. Maybe there will be a little basket once we get home for both of the kids.

So yesterday we visited Tetyana for our 2 hour visit. We are all tired of being in the little room but can't communicate that we would like to play outside or with her groupa. We hope to have Yana ask tomorrow after court. We are all tired of the same toys we bring each day and we have even added some new ones. The kids both get a little crazy and wound up. They need to get outside and run around.

Today we got to visit with Tetyana twice. Our morning visit we brought her a new Belle (that Luke bought her) which is the cheap Barbie here, some beads for stringing necklaces and some Ukrainian DVD's.

In between our visits our taxi driver took us to a monestary and a Sholin (sp??) temple. It was a tour and they had a girl there that was supposed to translate for us. Sounds interesting right? We were bored out of our minds and Drew thought he lost the cell phone so we couldn't call the taxi driver. After an hour and a half of listening to the tour guide go on and on in Ukrainian we 
were starving and I had to pee!! I knew the toilet there would be a hole because it was a really old place. When we were approaching 2:30 we found out we still had another 1/2 hour of this boring tour. It was probably pretty interesting if you could just understand what the heck they were saying!

Since we were starving, we had the driver take us through McDonalds drive thru on the way to the orphanage. When Tetyana saw the food she went crazy! She ate fries first, then some chicken nuggets and finished off my Big Mac!

One last cool thing of the day...a couple of days ago I put the picture of Tetyana, Luke and I on Drew's computer wallpaper. When he turned on his computer today for Tetyana to watch Harry Potter in Ukrainian, Tetyana got really excited and jabbered something in Ukrainian. I thought she was excited to see the videos that were on the DVD....she was excited to see her picture on the laptop! It was so cute! I think it made her really feel part of us.

So tomorrow is our court date. We go at 1:00. Please pray for a smooth hearing. I will post as soon as we get home from our visit in the afternoon!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Michelle!
Happy Easter!
You can use the term "ulitza" that translates to "outside"...

Just ask the caregiver - point to her coat/jacket and say "ulitza".. Unless it is cold -it should work!

Pronounced as...

ue (like in clue) lit- zah
Good luck!
Amy

Shana said...

Your story about McDonald's drive-thru makes me laugh. Not an hour after having the kids we realized we hadn't eaten nor had Mia and we still had a 2 hour drive to go to get back to our hotel in Taipei. No sooner did we realize this then we saw a McDonald's drive-thru on the side of the road. I swore we wouldn't eat fast food while there and 20 minutes after meeting our kids we were in a drive-thru! LOL!
Gotta love the old Mickey D's!
-Shana

Chris and Virginia said...

We hope all goes well tomorrow at court. 99% or more of the blogs and posts I read don't have any problems with court.

Sorry the tour went south. It sounds like it could have been interesting but I understand. We've been on German castle tours which were interesting, but would have been even more so if I could have understood what was being said. Luckily, their bathrooms are much better.

Our Family Photo's